Monday, August 30, 2010

Six More Sleeps... eek


The weekend went well. I managed to get a little rest on Saturday before we left for Chestermere. We had a wonderful time with Kate and the crew, as always. I did, however, forget to take my back pills before bed and was in pretty stiff shape the next morning. Luckily I had a couple hours to recover from that silliness while Kate was in a hair appointment.

Kate called as she was on her way home and asked if Tanner could load up the bikes on the bike rack on her truck. Tanner being the helpful handy guy he is got right to it, then promptly broke the rack. Now in Tanner’s defense, the bolts were rusted pretty badly and the plastic bits had seen some weather.

Plan B. Lorrie grabbed Ashley’s truck and after a few “oh I just forget this or that I’ll be right back” trips, we were off to Strathmore and ready to give it our all.

We arrived all geared up to find that it was public swim… oh stink. We were lucky though. There were only two boys about nine-years-old there. We politely asked the young man who was on as the lifeguard if we could put a lane in and promised we wouldn’t be more than 15 minutes. I was surprised at how willing he was to accommodate us. Kate and Lorrie swam the rope down and then they wrapped the center rope that divides the deep and shallow sections around the lane rope. Fantastic.

Now after taking it easy all last week for my backs sake I was not feeling it in the water. Also, I left my music in the locker. I need to get used of not having it. And yes, I am very upset about that. The swim took 16 minute. Ouch. But we did stop a few times to discuss technique.

We hurried out of the water to get on our bikes. Kate gave me a few tips on transitions and I think I am convinced to get a tri-suit as soon as I can. I really don’t want to bike and run in my bathing suit.

The bike was a little rough with wet hair and the wind. The first 10k wasn’t to terrible, yet it did have a down hill slope to most of it. Coming back, yah, that was a lot of up hill. I am afraid. I was frozen stiff from the wind and the rain by the time we finished up. It didn’t help much that I also missed the turn to go back to the truck and kept on for a few hundred more meters. Silliness. The weather was pooh and we where cold and stiff, so we skipped the run.

It was great to have Kate and Lorrie to train with. They are awesome women.

This morning was a little hard. I was pooped. I had a hell of a time sleeping last night and getting out of bed I found that my brain was still asleep and not completely functional. I pulled my sorry butt to gym and a tried one of the techniques Kate suggested. Ten minutes on the bike, then ten on the treadmill. After a few rounds of that I hit the water and did my 750 in 14:50. Not my best time but better than Sunday. I’ll time tomorrow and aim for 14:00.

Nighty night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment