Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ouch


Yesterday morning when I woke up I thought I was going to have to pull out of the race. One little voice of sensible me was saying “know know Jennifer, don’t push your body too hard blab blab la wonk wonk wonk…” it was promptly drowned out by the determine fierce voice of me saying “quit your wining and walk it off. You made a commitment and you will keep it.” Funny, determine fierce me sounds like a drill sergeant with smokers cough. Anyway… Whatever I did to back returned in full force. I called in to work and told them I wouldn’t be in until the afternoon when I finished up at the massage therapist. I also booked in to see my doctor again. I was about ready to find a chicken for a sacrificial ceremony to the gods of back pain and triathlons.

Getting a good night’s sleep seemed to really help last time so that is what I have been trying to do. Along with icing and switching from ice to heat. I brought a heating pad and bottles of frozen water to work to use throughout the day. The Dr. gave me a stronger dose of Flexural and an anti-inflammatory cream for my back. The pills take the edge off but mostly just make me into an even more absent-minded dolt than I usually am when I am in pain.

I should take this moment to thank and apologize to anyone you has had to deal with or work with me while I am either over tired, medicated, in pain or any combination of the above. You are all truly wonderful and patient souls.  

Back to business.

I discussed my situation with a few of my trusted advisors and have concluded that I will still race so long as my back improves by Friday. To avoid irritating the injury further I will not be training anymore. The most I will do is a couple mellow swims. My times will suffer a bit but at least I will still race. And as Kate mentioned, the slower one is on their first race the better one will beat their time next year. 

I go to physiotherapy tomorrow. I am also doing a few stretches. I am confident that I will be fully recovered by Friday. Please be confident with me… send some good energy my way.

Work was nice today. Our new manager started today. I gave the team a rough overview of my plans for the year and two of the things I was hoping to do where approved. The Breakfast Club, which Steph did last year as well, was approved and so was the fundraiser concert. The concert date has been pushed back a couple of months but that is okay because it will give me more time to prepare. Also, the larger timeline will give me time to volunteer with other events throughout the campus to gain some more experience. The other plans and proposals I have will be reviewed tomorrow.  

Speaking of tomorrow, we are doing the New Student Orientation (NSO) tomorrow and I will need to be at work a little earlier than usual. I best hit the sac.

Buenos Suenos
Sweet dreams

No comments:

Post a Comment