Friday, September 10, 2010

Slacker!

Many apologies!

With all the craziness of the first week of classes this week has flown by. I am looking forward to having some time to catch my breath over the weekend.

The race was amazing! It was bloody hard, but amazing. I can't wait for next years season.

Before I start off telling about race day I want to thank a few people.

Thank you Tanner for all your support and wake up calls though the last few weeks. You are wonderful!

Thank you Kate for all your support, guidance and friendship. You made the ordeal much less scary. Thank you and big hugs!

Thank you to Dan and Ryan who came down to the race to cheer me on! You guys are so sweet. Thank you for your support and your friendship. Oh, and thank you for the celebration pints Dan!

I woke up at 05:00 on race day feeling pretty good, but my bed was comfy and Tanner was going to give me a wake up call in about a half hour and I had another alarm set for 06:00. Or so I thought. I went back to sleep. The next time I opened my eyes it was 07:19! The pre-race meeting was at 07:30.

Oh, stink...  Both my and Tanner's alarms were both set for Monday through Saturday. We both felt pretty silly.

I raced around the house getting this and that together, jumped straight into my trisuit then gym pants and  the shirt that came in my race package then made a quick protein shake, thinking back I should have made Tanner one too... He was driving like a lunatic form his place to mine.  I had just finished pulling all my gear out to the end of my driveway and getting my bike out when he pulled up. We threw it all in and raced off to Spruce Grove.

I had on of the flavoured energy gel thingys. It was nasty as expected, then I promptly forgot to do the things that I told myself to remember, i.e. attach my race number tot he race belt Tanner so sweetly picked up for me (Thanks Kate,) untie my runners and other such knowledge that Kate had passed to me.

We got there with plenty of time. I was in the third swim heat and they where running a bit behind. I drank a ton of water, stretched and nervously walked back and forth from the place all us ladies where gathered to where Tanner was standing.

In line I ran into a girl I swam with in Peace River, small world. My three lane buddies and I chatted a bit and discussed our times. We all thought we would be swimming between 15-16 minutes. I expected to slow down from my back injury. I was wrong. My swim time was exactly 15 minutes, I lost time as I had to pass each of my lane mates once, and got stuck behind two of them for a short while. I flew out of the water and skittered off through to the transition area. Tanner passed me a protein bar as I passed him. It was cold outside for being soaking wet!

This is the point where I realized I had forgotten to do most of the things Kate had told me. I voiced this to Tanner. I don't know if he laughed at me but I would have laughed at me.

The bike was long, and there was three mean hills. Girls on road bikes where flying past me, they all said nice things as they went by. "good job" "keep it up, good work" and such. The turn around point took forever to get to, but the way back seemed better, I actually passed people! Only two I think...

I couldn't feel my feel after the bike. It took about 2kms of running before I could. I shouldn't say running, it was more a death jog. After the first lap I thought I would die. Another racer grabbed my hand at one point and pulled me along for a bit, giving me a pep talk, it helped a little. Thank you who ever you were.

When I finally went over the finish line it felt amazing. Most every one had finished already. I came in 101st out of 124. With a total time of 1:47:39. Tanner was right there, so were Ryan, Dan and Dan's nice Girlfriend. I was so happy I didn't throw-up, someone did and the evidence was still there.

Dan took us for pints. It was awesome, I felt like rubber.

this is the link to the results
http://www.resultscanada.com/results.html

No comments:

Post a Comment